Checklist For When Closing Day Approaches
Your home sale is completed on closing day when ownership is officially transferred to the buyer. As closing day approaches, there are a number of tasks to complete. Here’s a handy checklist:
- Hire a legal professional to represent your interests and manage closing documentation
- Satisfy any conditions you may be subject to in the offer
- Arrange for your move, obtain estimates from reputable moving companies and book as far in advance as possible. Make sure you have a firm bid in writing.
- Contact utilities to have meters read on closing date and coordinate cancellations, transfers and change-of-address notification for medical, financial and contracted services, licenses, subscriptions, memberships and personal mail
- Organize the connection of services and utilities at your new home
- Coordinate with your lawyer the receipt of compensation for prepaid utility expenses and the payment of real estate and legal fees from the proceeds of the sale
- Meet with your lawyer to sign the required closing documentation to discharge any mortgages, transfer the deed and provide the keys for the buyer
This checklist will help you manage the process and not forget anything!
For additional information, I am only a phone call or e-mail away.